The City of Concord is looking for a Meter Technician. The right individual will have a strong work ethic and enjoy working with a seasoned and motivated staff. As a key member of their team, you and your family will enjoy an excellent, flexible benefits package, including a defined-benefit retirement plan.
Department: General Services Department, Utility Billing Division
Typical Work Shift/Schedule: Days, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Overtime is a requirement.
Start pays $22.81 to $225.81, depending on skills and experience; the Top of the scale is $30.71.
Performs a variety of semi-skilled and limited-skilled duties involving the installation, maintenance, and repair of Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) Systems as well as traditional metering systems.
Examples of Duties:
- Installs and troubleshoots problems with meters and automatic meter reading systems in residential and commercial locations.
- Removes defective meters and replaces them with working meters.
- Uses tablets or other hand-held computing devices to create, manipulate, and complete work orders in the field.
- Tests for and detects leaks.
- Disconnects service to residents for non-payment.
- May complete daily work logs to accurately record the type and amount of work done.
- Interacts with customers to respond to requests or complaints and to explain the nature of the problem and service performed.
- Maintains service truck supply inventory.
- Reads and records meter data on an assigned route; checks to determine the consistency of meter readings and reports unusual circumstances to supervisor.
- Inspects meters for proper installation and working order.
- Tests backflow prevention devices.
- Tests meters using industry-standard testing procedures.
- Surveys for potential cross-connections in commercial properties.
- Configures and maintains temporary water meters.
- Performs plowing and snow removal from roadways and walkways during winter months; applies salt and/or sand to roadways to maintain public safety.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
One year of experience as a semi-skilled labor or water systems trades job; or any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Backflow Prevention Device Tester Certification or within six months of hire.
- Valid New Hampshire Driver’s License.
- Valid New Hampshire Class (B) Commercial Driver’s License with air brake endorsement or within six months of hire.
- Valid State of New Hampshire Water Distribution Operator’s Grade I license or within six months of hire.
Material and Equipment Used:
- Water Meter Test Equipment
- Safety Equipment
- Hand and Power Tools
- Methane Testing Equipment
- Large Meter Tester
- Meters Testing Bench
- Backflow Prevention Device Testing Equipment
- Laptop/handheld reader
Operation, function, and repair of water meters; principles, practices, and materials of the plumbing trade. Safety practices and principles, including knowledge of safety equipment.
Work is performed in a very noisy place. The employee will be exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, and irritating chemicals. Work is performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather, and requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves.
A City Application is required. Applications may be completed online at www.concordnh.gov
For more information on applying, please call the Human Resources Department at (603) 225-8535 (voice) or TTY at 800-735-2964 or 7-1-1.
Do you want your company to be featured in The Concord Sentinel? Please contact us!